This elective offers 1st and 2nd year medical students who have completed the OR Assist: Surgical Skills elective an opportunity to apply their skills in the OR. Students will be paired with a faculty Surgeon Mentor and assist in the OR on a variety of cases.
- Allow pre-clinical medical students to gain exposure to various surgical fields.
- Offer students an opportunity to practice the suturing and knot-tying skills that they learned in the prerequisite OR Assist: Surgical Skills elective.
- Encourage students to develop mentoring relationships with surgical faculty.
- First year medical students who have completed OR Assist: Surgical Skills.
- Students will be paired with a surgeon mentor and assist on a minimum of 3 surgical cases. Pairing will take into account the students' preferences.
- Students can spend additional time with their mentors in the OR, in clinic, on rounds, etc.
- In order to receive credit for the course, students must attend a minimum of 3 surgical cases and fill out the course evaluation survery.